Sunday, June 30, 2013

Haithabu Handbag the Handbag Strikes Back

Here it is almost July and hot as Muspelheim. A few months back I offered to make a raffle prize for an event so here I am sweating in the workshop.

The shoulder bag I made in February went over well with everyone who saw it so I decided to make a few more. I used one of the existing patterns ( the one on the top) and modified it to be a little larger and away I went.


I used the same walnut from the last bag. It was a little on the hard side but I had it laying around.


All was going well and I was very pleased with how it was shaping up, and with all the holes cut and drilled I hit it with a sanding and cut it down the center to make the two halves.

And this happened. The blade warped at the end of the cut and one side ended up too thin. I had hoped it would still be sturdy enough being a hard wood but after giving it a flex it broke in half.


So....Back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment